Pro: Global variety trumps domestic travel’s simplicity

With the potential for endless discovery, international travel offers countless sights. International travel allows for much more variety than domestic travel.
Wendy Righter

International travel is something that almost everyone has on their bucket list. The world has so much more to offer than what is here in America. Afterall, there are plenty of things that cannot be found in America, many of which are worth seeing.
While the vast landscapes in America vary greatly, not all kinds of landscapes can be found here in the States.
Excluding Hawaii, America does not have a single tropical rainforest.
Meanwhile, the Amazon Rainforest is one of the most unique places on Earth.
The Amazon rainforest has over 35 national parks in its borders, many of which are full of trails and places to visit.
The Amazon Rainforest is also home to over 10% of all the species found on Earth.
According to National Geographic, “this includes approximately 40,000 plant species, 2.5 million insect species, over 1,300 bird species, 427 mammal species and 378 reptile species.”
The potential for discovery and sightseeing in places like this is so much different than around here.
While there are plenty of interesting sights to see in America, there is simply nothing like the Amazon Rainforest.
Besides all of the incredible sights to see, international travel provides a chance to discover new cultures.
America offers small glimpses of many cultures, with ethnic restaurants, museums and towns being fairly prevalent.
However, traveling internationally offers a chance to truly immerse oneself in a different culture.
For example, Mexican culture has found its way into America on a pretty large scale. Due to its close proximity, Mexican food and traditions can be found in many communities in the United States.
However, by traveling down to Mexico itself, these cultural aspects, some of which are not as prevalent in America, can be found.
Obviously it would be an opportunity to try some of this cuisine, but in a much more authentic style.
Another strong aspect of Mexican culture is music. Music is a very important part of Mexican culture, and is something that is much less prevalent in America.
Relaxation is also a common reason for travel. Many people want to get away from their everyday life and relax.
Again, while there are places to do this in America, you are still in America.
Leaving the country offers a new space to relax; a new place to discover something new and get away from the norm.
International travel can lead people to find relaxing beaches and resorts, strenuous trails and parks, interesting museums and historical sights.
Traveling internationally is also a great way to meet new people.
Domestic travel often means staying in and visiting places with people who are also engaging in domestic travel.
Traveling to other countries, however, can lead to meeting very interesting individuals. Whether those people are members of the community you travel to, or fellow travelers, they may offer very interesting stories and connections, something that would be harder to find at home.
International travel simply offers more variety than domestic travel. It provides new experiences, perspectives and sights, and has something for everyone.