Red, Green Flags in relationships

To determine whether a relationship is possibly “good” or “bad,” people often look for red and green flags within their partner. Red flags are typically considered unhealthy and toxic while “green flags” are considered healthy.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, red and green flags are trendy indicators to help reflect and categorize a partner’s certain behaviors when assessing relationships as a whole.
One of the biggest and most common red flags seen in high school relationships is poor communication.
Today, the majority of teens communicate via one word texts and snaps on Snapchat.
This leads to misunderstandings and an overall lack of real connection.
When the main form of communication is through a phone, the subtle nuisances of facial expressions, tone of voice, body language and inflections are lost.
An immediate green flag is simply having basic manners, which often seems to be asking a lot of some people.
For example, when on a date, no one wants to be with someone who is rude to the waiter.
Simply saying “please” and “thank you” shows that you treat those around you with respect and that you care about them as a person.
Another red flag and thing that you should never do when spending quality time with a significant other is be on your phone.
It’s important that the person you are with can understand through your actions that you are focused on them and that they have your undivided attention.
Another massive red flag is being a “pick-me.” Pick-me’s are people who try to prove they are “not like other people” by begging for attention and approval of a specific person or group in everything they say or do.
The issue with pick-mes, both male and female, is that their actions often feel artificial and manipulative as they try to garner attention by gaining the sympathy of others.
A bright green flag for many is good hygiene.
Good hygiene indicates that a person cares for themselves and makes an effort to look good for their significant other.
Whether on a date or in everyday life, having bad hygiene is a vibrant red flag.
No one wants to be next to someone who smells bad, especially when they are on a date.
Bad hygiene can include, but is not limited to, not showering often, bad breath, unpleasant body odor and not washing your hands after using the bathroom.
Having good hygiene not only makes you a healthier person overall by stopping you from getting sick and spreading germs, but also helps with boosting your self confidence and chances of getting a date.