WWSI: Admissions overwhelming, but manageable

Through strict time management and goal setting, the college admissions process is more doable than what it initially seems.

As seniors graduate and juniors ramp up their college search, we would like to share tips and tricks to make the complicated, messy admissions process more manageable.
The first step, which should happen the summer after your junior year, is to research what colleges might be a good fit.
It is important to have a diverse mix of public and private colleges.
Public universities can be really expensive out of state, so in-state schools like Penn State, Kutztown or Millersville are great financially responsible options.
Private universities have a reputation for being very expensive, but if they meet need-based aid, they can be reasonable, even more so than out-of-state institutions.
This means the next step is to have a conversation with your parents about finances.
This is an important conversation to have early on, so you can base where you apply on your budget.
After finding a diverse range of financial options, it is also important to have a diverse range of acceptance rates.
Have a couple safeties, really focus on the midrange schools, and only a few reaches.
The number one rule in this process is do not apply to places you wouldn’t want to attend. It is a waste of time and money. There are so many financial/academic safety schools that you can surely enjoy attending.
Once you’ve found your schools, set up your Common Application. This should happen around the beginning of your senior year. Fill out the application, and make sure to include any activities completed during high school, not just current ones. Order your activities in order of importance, but also uniqueness. Show colleges what makes you special. You aren’t trying to persuade schools to accept you, you are trying to persuade them that you are an asset to their school and that they need to accept you.
You can make yourself seem like an asset to a school by stressing what you hope to accomplish while you are attending that institution. If schools see you as an ambitious student who is going to be a high-achiever at the collegiate level, they will be more likely to admit you to their school.
At this point, go to guidance and sit down with your counselor. Ask them to help you request transcripts and send them to schools. They can also help you get organized and ready for the months ahead. This should be done as early in the school year as possible.
Next, start on the essays. Prioritize writing the Common App essay first. Try to pick a topic that shows how you are an asset to their school. Don’t pick a sob story, meaning a story that tries to make admissions officers pity you. A story about adversity is valid, as long as it shows that you are an asset.
Focus most of the essay on how you overcame and grew.
If you don’t have an adversity story, share a lesson you learned that you’ve applied in the classroom or community daily.
For school-specific essays, research the school deeply and see what they value in their community.
If you are a good fit at the school, you should exhibit these characteristics already. Showcase these values in your essay.
Another great way to make your essays stand out is reaching out to professors.
Go onto your department website for your major, find a professor with similar interest to you and send them an email.
Ask them what they think sets their school apart, why they choose to work there, what opportunities are available to students and how their curriculum fulfills the mission of the school.
Use their answers to explain to the college why you are excited about coming.
For example, if a professor says that there is a large culture of undergraduate research, mention that in your essay. Explicitly state how you spoke to the professor.
Another important resource to utilize besides professors is admissions counselors.
Investigate if there is a regional counselor at your college and reach out if there is.
If not, reach out to general admissions with some questions about their school. Ask about things like study-abroad programs, internship placement or undergraduate research. Even if you don’t intend to utilize all these resources, it lets schools know you are deeply interested in what they have to offer.
After submitting your applications, the next painstaking step is FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
This should be filled out with a parent, as they typically have most of the information it requires.
After dealing with FAFSA, some schools will require more information about your family’s finances.
This is done through the College Scholarship Service (CSS) on the College Board.
This will be linked to IDOC, which will be used to upload documents.
Be very attentive to what colleges are requesting what documents, as well as which colleges request documents to be uploaded directly to their private portal.
As decisions roll in, stay organized.
Make a spreadsheet of financials and compare opportunities.
Deciding which opportunity statistics are relevant can be tricky. Here are some tips:
Graduation rates are not very relevant unless there is a disparity of 10% or more.
The percentage of students employed within six months of graduation is important. Options to be able to work during college should also be considered, work study or otherwise. The number of students who participate in undergraduate research or internships is important.
Average class size is important.
Faculty to student ratio is also important, but graduate students sometimes are considered faculty so be wary of that. College rank is important, but not the end all be all.
Once you decide, decline offers from other schools and accept your offer.
There is typically a very quick turnaround for housing applications.
As soon as possible, get started on setting up your student portal and email, apply for housing and start preparing for college.
Be excited! No matter where you go after high school, whether higher education, military or work, you should be proud and excited. Hard work has gone into making these decisions, and everyone should be proud.