Baseball team ‘steals’ first win of the season

The boys won their first game against Perkiomen Valley High School on March 18, with a score of 13-7.

In order to achieve their season goal of a state championship title, the boys baseball team has worked hard prior to the start of the season, in hopes of a successful end result.
Souderton’s baseball team, along with the coaching staff, stepped off on the right foot when they won their first game of the season on March 18 against Perkiomen Valley High School.
Junior Tyler Lutz hopes that the skills used to help win the first game will continue to be applied.
“Our hitting was really good and that should transition to some of the league games in the season,” Lutz said.
Similarly, baseball head coach Mike Childs said that hitting was a big factor to the success.
“Hitting looked really good. We scored 13 runs in that first game,” Childs said.
The team started pre-season practice at the beginning of the school year, which allowed them to start “figuring stuff out and teaching quickly,”assistant coach Josh Myers said.
Lutz’s preseason allowed him to get in a lot of “reps.”
“I’d do a lot of workouts and work on pitching and then I’d be hitting almost every day,” Lutz said.
In addition to skills, the team also worked on themselves physically, by attending lifting sessions.
“We lift in the mornings for about four months before the season,” Childs said.
On top of the in-school practices, some players work on bettering themselves during their free time.
Junior Connor Klock says he goes to the gym on his own time and practices his catching skills.
“I go to the gym a lot and work on catching in the bullpen,” Klock said.
“It’s unheard of,” according to Childs, “to be successful without putting in the preseason work.”
As the team continues to play games, they keep their end goal of becoming state champions in mind as they participate in daily practices.