Mass shootings considered ‘normal’ in American society

As gun violence has gradually increased in the past decade, it feels like national concern is becoming less prominent.

In regards to the increasing number of mass shootings in the United States, a disheartening reality continues to infiltrate society, and has rather become “the norm” in American culture.
According to the Gun Violence Archive, 656 mass shootings were carried out in 2023, resulting in an almost 59% increase from 2014, about a decade earlier.
346 of these took place in educational facilities ranging from K-12 grades.
As the number of violent shootings rapidly increase year after year, it is no surprise that many Americans are fearful of their safety in public spaces, including their schools.
However, the most concerning aspect regarding these statistics is the national numbness to this type of tragedy.
According to the Kids Count Data Center, 4,733 children were killed by gun violence in 2023, out of a total of the 9,791 (according to the CDC) that died due to any cause. That’s approximately 48.3% of deceased children dying from gun violence, ranging from ages zero to 14.
So why aren’t we hearing about these statistics on the news?
Evidently, the severity of the crisis in our nation rationally calls for action, but it seems like nothing is being done.
Bills that involve gun restrictions are being denied in Congress again and again, mostly due to the fact that banning assault weapons is “unconstitutional,” according to the current Republican House majority.
While it is important to uphold America’s Constitution, it is evidently much more crucial to implement more restrictions due to the prevalent issue our nation faces.
However, there are a number of loopholes that prevent us from simply banning assault weapons: it’s just not that easy.
According to Everytown for Gun Safety, over 1.3 million illegal firearms were collected by law enforcement officials throughout the past five years. While only 11% of mass shootings are carried out with illegal firearms, the issue is still a present one that needs to be recognized.
Other protective measures such as The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) allow those with severe mental health records to purchase guns, no questions asked.
To preface, in no way am I suggesting that mental health issues should dismiss one from their legal right to own a gun.
However, it’s alarming how loose regulations are for those with severe mental conditions.
Furthermore, only those convicted as criminally insane are dismissed from this part of HIPAA, meaning that the majority of those with concerning mental health states are able to purchase at their own discretion.
Information such as this only prompts the general consternation of why these issues are not being addressed. Frankly, this should not be taken lightly at any capacity.
With the nation’s gun violence only increasing year after year, more regulations should be passed, more voices should be heard and our government must be more concerned with the issue.
With this being said, our country is taking steps in the right direction.
Last year, the Pennsylvania House Judiciary Committee passed multiple life-saving ordinances, such as expanding background checks and a red flag law.
Regulations such as these save lives, and ultimately create a safer environment for American citizens.
All in all, the normalcy surrounding everyday gun violence is an issue that needs to be addressed and brought to a conclusion sooner rather than later.
While it is discouraging to hear about new shootings each day, there is action that can be taken, and the effort starts with individuals fighting for that change.