The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Boys wrestling team bonds are ‘better than ever’

After spending time with each other during long practices, the boys wrestling team has formed close bonds, which helps them cope with the sport’s mental stress.
Square+up...Wrestling+against+Pennridge+High+School+sophomore+Ian+Gallagher+%28right%29%2C+junior+Johnny+Beckett+strategizes+against+his+opponent+during+a+January+3+match.+
Keya Dahale
Square up…Wrestling against Pennridge High School sophomore Ian Gallagher (right), junior Johnny Beckett strategizes against his opponent during a January 3 match.

To grow stronger as a team and overcome challenges, the boys wrestling team prioritizes quality time together outside of practice.
According to sophomore Jadon Bateman, the team is quite close.
“I think we are the best team in the school, [bond]-wise,” Bateman said. “We’re just very close.”
Senior Charlie Arobone described the team as a “second family.”
The team spends extended time together because of late practices, overnight competitions and more.
“We’re hanging out outside of school, we’re having dinner, we’re ultimately the best friends,” Arobone said.
According to wrestling coach William McGinley, there is a lot of mental stress that comes with wrestling to be at one’s best, but that pressure often produces progressive outcomes.
“A lot of pressure is on you, but it’s reacting to that pressure,” McGinley said. “One of my favorite expressions [is] ‘pressure makes diamonds or it could crush you.’”
According to sophomore Ezra Swartley, having the support of their teammates puts players into a good mindset, which helps overcome this stress.
“I have a better attitude just because they’re there for me,” Swartley said.
Having a team that surrounds themselves with positivity and good vibes helps the players feel more connected to each other.
Bateman feels that the teams time together outside of school and the teams ability to “joke around” wit each other has created a bond for them that is “better than ever.”
“It’s not just a team. It’s a family,” junior Sawyer Lester said.
For many wrestlers, feeling connected is crucial to having a good environment where wrestlers can grow and thrive, not only as players, but as people.
“Ultimately what brings your team to success is a good bond,” junior Tom Gonce said.
Having a good bond helps the players keep a good mindset.
This leads to successes in practice and in matches.
Positive thinking plays a big part in forming a good wrestler.
“You need to be able to come into the room every day thinking positively, [saying] ‘I’m going to do good today,’” Bateman said.
Along with this, many wrestlers said the main skill needed to pick up wrestling is a positive mindset.
According to Lester, having the right mindset is equally as important as any physical aspect.
“You need a good mindset,” Lester said. “If you don’t have a good mindset and come into the practice room every day like ‘I can’t do this’ then it’s not going to work.”