New voters prepare for general election

With students becoming eligible to vote at 18 years old, many have registered to vote for the upcoming general election. This general election, new and experienced voters alike, will vote to fill a state supreme court justice spot and municipal boards.
New voters prepare for general election

Due to the upcoming 2023 general election, recently turned 18-year-olds from Montgomery County are registering to vote for the first time in preparation for Election Day on November 7.
Many students this time of year feel they’ve gained a new responsibility for the country.
Souderton senior Korey Veit feels as though he gains “a voice in our government” by being able to vote.
“It makes me feel more responsible as an American citizen,” Veit said.
Senior Sophia Marsicano said that she was eager to finally have a role in the government.
“I’m excited to actually have a say in something that’s going on [right now],” Marsicano said.
Some new voters feel pressure in the upcoming election with it being their first time voting and are doing research towards their preferred party.
“I’d say there is a lot of tension,” senior Cameron Lorenz said, “because I know who I am voting for and I know who the people in my life are voting for, but I don’t know the swing of things.”
According to Veit, he holds no opinion on whether someone votes similarly or differently from his own, but stressed that “it doesn’t help” if people don’t do their own research.
“If you’re going to vote and don’t know what side to pick, I really wouldn’t vote. Do your research first, do all that first and then make up your mind,” Veit said. “If you don’t do any of that I wouldn’t consider voting.”
Many students agree that there is a correlation between the political party their friends and family associate with and their own.
“Although me and the greater majority of my friends and family all swing the same way,” Lorenz said, “it’s my own choosing to believe what I believe in.”
Marsicano said she feels she’s both been influenced by her surroundings but also thinks for herself. “It’s a mix of both,” Marsicano said. “I was brought up a certain way, but I’d like to think I’m independent and do my own thing.”
NPR journalist Domenico Montanaro reports that 16% of 80 million non-voters of the 2020 election didn’t vote because they felt as though “their vote wouldn’t have made a difference.”
According to Lorenz, if one person feels that way, what’s stopping all voters from feeling that way?
“Anyone who can vote should get it out there. It’s the most important thing to represent ourselves and…if everyone votes, there’s that [one] vote that matters,” Lorenz said.
Veit agrees. According to Veit, “every vote counts” and “giving your opinion is all we can do.”