Barbie movie represents gender roles, motherhood

Director Greta Gerwig incorporates themes of societal gender roles and female hardships in her movie “Barbie.” The movie broke records and made headlines.
Molly Kreag
Sublime!…Celebrating girlhood, (from left) seniors Lauren Fisher, Ava Mills and Angela Trinh enjoy an outdoor picnic before going to theaters to see the Barbie movie. Warner Brothers released “Barbie” on July 21.

Displaying the issues between gender roles and the representation of women in society, the 2023 “Barbie” movie has cultivated a new idea of girlhood, helping people of all genders and ages to view women in a different light.
Senior Anna Stratton feels that the messages within the movie were “powerful” and “beneficial” to its audience.
“I walked into it expecting it to be very superficial and meant for younger audiences,” Stratton said, “but I thought that it had a much stronger, deeper meaning that was very unexpected.”
Senior Molly Kreag also thought there were “important life lessons” discussed throughout the film. “I thought it portrayed women’s roles in society in a humorous way that could show men, women and everyone the disparities between gender roles and how women are just as capable of everything that men are,” Kreag said.
According to senior Jackson Rohrbaugh, he “appreciated” the different “representation” that the film gave to gender issues in society.
“I know that a lot of people are saying that it bashes guys, but I think that it really does take a good view of feminism from a male perspective and how the patriarchy is not only bad for women but also men,” Rohrbaugh said.
Kreag also feels that the movie “encapsulated” how a lot of women feel and was able to show that to different people who saw the film.
“I spoke to so many guys who had seen the “Barbie” movie and they said that they have never viewed their surroundings and their environment in a way that the “Barbie” movie depicted it, and that’s how girls feel,” Kreag said.
Rohrbaugh also feels that the film was a “good family comedy” that was able to introduce more mature themes to a younger audience. “It’s a good way to introduce someone who is maybe younger and doesn’t understand those kinds of concepts yet and a good way to introduce them to feminism and maybe more gender equality ideas,” Rohrbaugh said.
Not only does the “Barbie” movie focus on the roles of women in society, but it also discusses the importance of relationships, such as those between mothers and daughters.
Stratton’s mother, Susan, feels that the portrayal of these relationships was “well done.” “I think just the mother-daughter relationship can be complicated especially in the teenage years and how they kind of work through all of that, I thought it was great,” Susan said.
According to Susan, specific moments in the film, such as America Ferrera’s (who plays the human Gloria) monologue, communicates the way that many women in parental roles feel.