U.S. continues supporting Ukraine in Russian conflict

Providing financial support, the United States, among many other nations, continues to support Ukraine in its efforts to fight against Russian troops. After Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine, the current and lasting effects are still relevant over two years later.

In hopes of supporting Ukraine throughout its efforts to defend against Russia, the United States is providing Ukraine with economic support during the ongoing Russia-Ukrainian conflict.
America’s largest involvement in the conflict began after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022.
According to the United States Department of State (DOS), America has contributed $44.3 billion to Ukraine since Russia’s “unprovoked” and “brutal-scale attack” in 2022.
“This investment in training and equipment assistance demonstrates our enduring and steadfast commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” the DOS said on their website. “It supports Ukraine’s efforts to defend itself against Russia’s aggression, secure its borders, and improve interoperability with NATO.”
The National Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is an intergovernmental military alliance between 32 member nations, the United States being one of them. According to the DOS, the alliance was formed in 1949 in order to “provide collective security against the Soviet Union.”
According to social studies teacher David Klein, being a part of NATO prompts the United States to protect their allies. Klein believes America’s efforts have proven successful.
“Our involvement is protecting Ukraine,” Klein said. “I think it is improving their chances of winning the war and being able to maintain their nationality.”
Social studies teacher Jessica Muller believes American involvement in the conflict arises from the insecurities that followed the Cold War.
“The entire Cold War era was about stopping the spread of communism and helping the countries negatively impacted by the Soviet Union,” Muller said. “When Russia invaded Ukraine, it felt like a return to the past.”
Similar to Klein, Muller also believes that the United States should continue to implement funding’s into Ukraine’s efforts.
“Based on historical views of American foreign policy, America should continue to support Ukraine due to the possible consequences of what could happen if Russia continues this behavior with other countries,” Muller said.
According to the United States Institute of Peace, the Russo-Ukrainian conflict has disrupted the international peace that was fought for following WWII and the Cold War.
This then caused NATO to become involved in the matter, despite Ukraine not being a NATO member country.
Klein believes that the tensions between Russia and the United States will only worsen throughout the war.
“I think we were already at odds, and granted, it certainly is escalating tensions,” Klein said.
Muller believes that, if Russia successfully takes over Ukraine, the outcomes could threaten Western democratic establishments.
“[Stopping the spread of communism] mattered historically and it still matters today, as it could serve as a threat to our democracy if Russia is successful in taking over Ukraine and eventually other countries,” Muller said.