Varsity volleyball faces ‘turnover’

After a spring of many ups and downs, the varsity boys volleyball team leaves the court with a record of 7-13 for the season.
Varsity volleyball faces turnover

Due to the makeup of last year’s team being mostly seniors, many players competed at varsity level for the first time this season, each stepping up to fill the shoes of past players.
According to senior captain Everett Self, “this season is different from last year because, for the majority of our squad, this is our first year playing varsity.”
Self has already seen improvement in both the team’s skills and mental game.
“I am excited to see where we end up this year,” Self said. “I think we have a lot of potential, we just have to focus up and play the game we love.”
According to junior Giovanni Iervolino, “there’s a lot of rebuilding and polishing that we still have to do in order for our team to reach its full potential.”
Junior Colton Musselman believes one strength of the team is that “we are fairly consistent servers, meaning we don’t miss a lot. This is key so we don’t give the other team ‘free’ points.”
For the team, keeping a positive attitude and strong mental game is the key to success. “It’s easy to get careless when you’re up and frustrated when you’re down. Keeping our pace consistent and finishing out games is our number one area of improvement,” Iervolino said.
To raise money and also introduce volleyball to younger kids, the team held a clinic on March 27.
“[The clinic] included hitting, passing and setting drills, as well as gameplay,” Musselman said.