The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Resorts offer unique experiences, relaxing environments

To escape the stress of work and school, many book vacations to top resorts in various locations. These resorts can have endless food, activities and unique locations to relax.
Sierra Sullivan
Living it up…Balancing a bird in one hand and an iguana in the other, senior Brogan Sullivan enjoys some quality time with animals native to Punta Cana.

Many families decide to book trips to resorts during the spring and summer vacations to try new experiences.
According to Ocean Blue and Sand Resort butler Harry Bello, many guests try new activities and explore what they can do.
The Ocean Blue and Sand Resort is located in Punta Cana, a town in the Dominican Republic.
“We see many guests ordering one or two expedition packs [packages that offer an activity such as paragliding],” Bello said. “Everybody loves to do something they [cannot] do at home.”
The expedition packs are sold separately from the resort, but are common among the guests as they can offer various different activities and settings.
The most popular options are a buggy tour and ziplining, according to Bello.
With vacationing away from home, unique foods are another large appeal.
“I’ve had a chance to try so many foods that I’ve never even heard of,” resort guest Elizabeth Thompson said. “I got to try [Mofongo], [Sancocho] and just a ton of different [dishes].”
According to resort guest Taylor Harris, trying as many foods as possible was her main goal for the trip.
“There’s so many places to eat and I’m trying to hit every single one,” Harris said.
Ocean Blue and Sand offers nine different restaurants, all including their own culture-based menus.
“I think [Margarita] was the best so far because they’re serving local foods and all the chefs have grown up eating the food that they are serving,” Harris said.
While some guests look to discover new foods or out-of-the-box experiences, some people are just looking for some time to relax.
Laying by the pool and reading a book is a perfect way to enjoy a resort, according to resort guest Sierra Sullivan.
“All of the cool stuff you can do is fun, but I really just like to relax and read,” Sullivan said. “I get to listen to my music and enjoy the weather without having to do anything.”
Thompson agreed that a calm day was just as good as going out and doing something.
“I spent half this week just laying on the beach and tanning. I don’t need or want to always be doing something, it’s nice just to be lazy,” Thompson said.
With a variety of activities and locations, resorts can be for anyone, according to Bello.
“We have [a gym], two pools…every night has its own special event. We like to have fun and give our guests a good time,” Bello said. “Everybody is [going to] have fun.”
Sullivan believes resorts also offer an introduction into new cultures apart from food.
“There are so many different things to experience and you can try a completely different culture. You hear and live around a new accent and a new way of living, you can really learn a lot,” Sullivan said.
Ocean Sands and Blue offers a regular package or a privilege package, with the latter giving guests various accommodations. Privilege gives guests a chef’s special menu, a private pool, an exclusive night club and many other benefits.