Students hope for success, prepare for upcoming AP exams

To earn college credit, students spend time preparing for AP exams. Exams take place nationwide May 6-17.

By reviewing in advance, taking practice quizzes and attending study sessions with teachers, students are preparing for the upcoming Advanced Placement (AP) exams that will take place in May.
AP courses, organized by College Board, are taught at the college level and allow high school students the possibility to obtain college credit, if they score a passing grade of a three or higher, at a reduced cost.
The grading system of the test is based on a one to five scale.
Souderton offers 19 out of the 37 total AP classes.
AP Coordinator Mary Moyer believes that AP classes are a valuable option to have because they “help students get the whole sense of what college work will be like.”
Her advice for students taking the exams in May include utilizing the online resource, AP Classroom, to receive the advantages that AP classes offer.
“It’s important for students to review the materials that are provided by their teachers,” Moyer said. “AP [Classroom] also provides practice sessions beginning April 22, so it’s good to take advantage of them.”
According to AP Human Geography teacher Kimberly Dudek, her classes have been getting ready for the exams by “quizzing and testing.”
“I think it’s a rigor that helps them with time management, preparing and pushing their limits,” Dudek said.
Sophomore Niharika Inampudi is currently taking two AP courses: AP Biology and AP Human Geography.
According to Inampudi, preparation is one of the most important factors to success when taking an AP class and/or exam.
“[It] requires a lot more effort than a non-AP class because it’s a higher level,” Inampudi said. “In order to do well, you need to be well prepared.”
Sophomore Pranati Jammalamadaka, who is taking AP Biology, AP Human Geography and AP Statistics, has a similar idea about the importance of preparation before taking the AP exams.
“I believe it’s really important to prepare for the test because you’re paying money to potentially get college credit and if you don’t prepare well enough that money will be wasted,” Jammalamadaka said.
While AP courses are more demanding than typical high school classes, according to Jammalamadaka they prepare students for schooling after high school.