Rock climbing helps climbers overcome struggles

Climbing has many physical and mental benefits.
Hanging+in+there%E2%80%A6Making+his+way+up+the+wall%2C+rock+climber+Ross+Cormier+scales+the+rock+walls+at+Philadelphia+Rock+Gym+on+April+7.+
Noah Utain
Hanging in there…Making his way up the wall, rock climber Ross Cormier scales the rock walls at Philadelphia Rock Gym on April 7.

By building strength, getting involved in a supportive community and allowing one to mentally challenge themself, rock climbers find climbing to be a positive activity in multiple ways.
Two of the most popular types of indoor rock climbing are bouldering and top rope climbing.
Bouldering is done on shorter walls without a harness, while top rope climbing is done on a much taller wall and requires a harness and a belayer. Belaying refers to the action of a trained climber holding the rope attached to the climber’s harness.
For rock climbing instructor Shawn Marchesano, one of the biggest benefits of rock climbing is the social aspect.
“You can be climbing on a wall and there will be people around you that you don’t know at all,” Marchesano said, “but they will still support you and cheer you on.”
Rock climbing instructor Emma Coale has found the rock climbing community to be especially supportive.
“Everyone is really helpful and kind to each other,” Coale said. “If you are struggling with a problem, someone will help you out.”
Coale thinks that it also helps to be surrounded by people who share the same interests.
“It is fun sharing my passions with people,” Coale said.
Rock climber Devon Geist also thinks that there is a social benefit of rock climbing. While bouldering can be done alone, top rope and similar kinds of climbing require a partner to belay the climber. Geist believes that the need for a partner makes it easier to meet new people.
“Climbing can force you to step out of your comfort zone and connect with people you wouldn’t usually interact with,” Geist said.
Geist also believes that rock climbing can strengthen the relationship between friends.
“By learning to belay each other, climbers learn to rely on each other,” Geist said, “which fosters a sense of teamwork and connection.”
For junior Colton Musselman, the mental challenge is a significant benefit of rock climbing. When Musselman began climbing, he found that the height can be “kind of scary.”
“For some people, it can be intimidating to climb up a rock wall,” Musselman said. “For the tall ones, even though you are roped in you can still fall.”
Musselman believes that rock climbing allows climbers to grow by facing their fears.
In addition to the mental aspect, Musselman believes that rock climbing is a great exercise for building strength. According to Musselman, rock climbing works many different muscle groups.
“It really works everything,” Musselman said. “It is an all-body workout.”
Marchesano agrees that rock climbing has physical benefits.
“It makes you stronger,” Marchesano said. “Rock climbing is one of the better exercises out there.”
However, Coale thinks that the most beneficial part of rock climbing is overcoming mental challenges.
According to Coale, being able to overcome tough climbs can be “really satisfying.”
“I like the problem-solving aspect of it,” Coale said.