Spain trip highlights culture

Hoping to enhance cultural awareness, faculty and students embarked on a tour of Spain from March 23-April 2.

Traveling to four Spanish cities over the course of 11 days, students and staff visited Spain from March 23-April 2.
Spanish teacher Brittany Mercado organized the trip.
Assistant principal Matt Haines, social social studies teacher Kim Dudek, social studies teacher Denise Meehl, and technology education teacher Brian Ruth chaperoned along with Mercado.
With an activity-packed 11 days of travel, students and staff travelled to the Spanish cities of Granada, Seville, Cordoba, Madrid and Barcelona.
In these cities travelers saw museums, historical sites and much more.
According to junior Leila Rhodes, partaking in traditional, authentic Spanish activities created an inspiring and exciting trip.
“My favorite part was the first flamenco show we went to in Granada,” Rhodes said. “It was a really interactive experience and was fun to watch.”
Other students agree with Rhodes. Junior Elise Holly says she felt as though the experience of seeing flamenco dancing was “authentic.”
According to junior Andrew Cook, it was “inspiring” to see new cultures through various activities.
“During the flamenco class and cooking class, I learned a lot about Spanish culture,” Cook said. “It was a great experience.”
According to junior AJ Swindells, he learned a lot through the hands on activities.
“I really liked taking the cooking class and flamenco class,” Swindells said. “I learned a lot about the country.”
Additionally, many attendees of the trip advocate for more traveling due to the experience they had. “Traveling and learning about cultures is something everyone should experience,” Rhodes said.
Holly also agrees that traveling can be beneficial to the traveler.
“I think planning more trips is a great idea to give us the opportunity to travel when we might not have it otherwise,” Holly said. “The trip taught me a lot.”
Furthermore, the trip taught students important life skills that will help them in the future.
“Being in another country teaches you to roll with things and be flexible,” Holly said. “I also learned how to be more independent and function on my own.”
According to Rhodes, she made a new “family” during the trip.
“Being surrounded by so many of my peers and students for 11 days made us really close,” Rhodes said. “I made some amazing bonds that will last a lifetime.”