Student Government prepares for junior prom

Since October, students worked to create an enjoyable junior prom for all attendees. The junior prom was held April 27.
Grace Quigley
Getting ready…To prepare for the April 27 junior prom, Student Government members Colton Musselman (left) and Kayla Lelina sort decorations. The Class of 2025 must begin the decorating process by assemeling lanterns.

To create an entertaining junior prom, the Class of ‘25 Student Government spent months organizing all aspects of the April 27 dance, from food to decorations to music.
Beginning in October, the junior student government has spent their 2.5 block discussing, planning and preparing for the event.
To start the planning process, they collectively brainstormed ideas for a theme and then sent a survey to the junior class to vote on their theme.
This year, the theme is Enchanted Forest.
According to 2025 Student Government advisor Rachel Zablocki, a survey was sent out to decide the theme because “[student government] wanted the kids to have a say.”
Student government did not want to make all of the major decisions on their own, they wanted their classmates’ opinions as well.
“There’s a bunch of [student-picked] committees,” 2025 Student Government advisor Patty Gallagher said, “just to make sure everyone has a role.”
Splitting up the responsibilities between the committees helps the club to organize the dance in the most effective way possible.
2025 Student Government president Kayla Lelina is not part of a committee, but instead oversees all the committees and helps wherever she is needed.
The Event Detail Coordinators are in charge of organizing the important details of the event, such as the food and DJ.
The decoration committee is in charge of maintaining the theme through the decorations and setup.
The advertising committee works on getting all of the details and information out to the students attending.
Student Government member Eliza James was put in charge of hanging posters to advertise the prom.
She walked around the building hanging posters around various locations, such as the main concourse, the gym and bulletin boards.
“I love being a part of the Student Government and getting involved in organizing everything,” James said.
According to many involved, it can be a very rewarding experience seeing the hard work come together for the benefit of the students.
“The most rewarding part is being a part of the group and navigating challenges thrown at us,” Lelina said. “It can be difficult, but it teaches us how to work better as a group.”
Group discussions and communication are particularly important when it comes to the organization of junior prom.
Discussions may consist of details such as food orders, theme, DJ-ing or any other details the students have questions or concerns about.
“Everyone who is a part of student government is meant to participate and have fun in the discussions,” Lelina said.
Lelina and Student Government advisors help students lead discussions and make decisions.
According to Lelina, the student government advisors “drive our club” and junior prom would not be possible without them.
Advisors maintain the food orders, search for materials and make sure everything and everyone is in order.
“Mrs. Gallagher and I are the ones who take on the role of making sure everything is ordered, everything is here, telling the kids when they need to come, go through decorations and when they will be setting up,” Zablocki said.
Similarly, Zablocki and Gallagher said they enjoy seeing the students come together and enjoy all their hard work.
The junior prom is a way to raise school spirit and bring the junior class together.
The advisors aim to create that community throughout the Class of 2025.