The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Key Club sweetens students’ day with candy

To spread Valentine’s Day spirit, Key Club sold candy grams during all lunches in the cafeteria from February 7th – 9th. Receiving a candy gram has the potential to make someone’s day even better.
Luka Camacho
Spreading the love…Planning to write a heartfelt note, freshman Donte Manning purchases a candy gram from sophomore Andrew Bouw. The Key Club delivered candy grams on Valentine’s Day (February 14).

Selling candy grams, Key Club presented an opportunity for students to show appreciation to their friends or significant others by purchasing a Hershey bar with a note.

For Key Club advisor Tara Weismantel, she wanted to ensure that students could take part in such an important day for many. 

“We haven’t done something like this in a few years, so I thought it might be a fun thing for the whole school to take part in,” Weismantel said.  “We’re really trying to push for some school spirit and make sure everyone feels involved.”

For sophomore Hannah Pollack, it was her job to make sure that the candy grams were a success.

“I not only helped Mrs. Weismantel come up with the idea to do this, but I also helped her with making the labels, figuring out the dimensions of the candy bars and selling them at lunches,” Pollack said.

For Weismantel, her students are always the “most important part” of all activities. 

From RedZone preparations to delivery, Weismantel said she could not do anything without her student’s help. 

According to Pollack, she felt that this process made her become a leader. 

“I do take a little bit of leadership in the process,” Pollack said.  

For students, the idea of the candy grams was seen as a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with their friends or special person. 

Sophomore Sawyer Jones enjoyed the idea because “everyone likes to be appreciated.” 

For Jones, Valentine’s Day is a great day for people with significant others to be appreciated. 

“What’s a better way to feel appreciated than to receive a little candy gram,” Jones said. “Showing that they care and that they took time out of their day to send you a candy gram [makes your day.]” 

Due to their success, Weismantel hopes to have this sale again. 

“I think it was a great experience,” Weismantel said. “I think anything that gets multiple Key Club members together and learning how to collaborate is always a great experience.” 

With great school spirit this year, there is a high likelihood of seeing candy grams next year, for another great year of celebrating Valentine’s Day.