Music in Our Schools highlights student talent

The program is celebrated nationwide throughout March as a part of the National Association for Music Education.
Zoe Bass
Demonstrating her work as part of Souderton’s womens’ a capella group, Chordination, senior Ava Mills performs “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny’s Child. Chordination was just one of many student music groups that performed at Music in Our Schools Night on March 6.

By performing a variety of music within each subsect of the music department, students aim to showcase their musical talents at the Music in Our Schools event on March 6.
This is the second year that the Music in Our Schools concert has taken place at Souderton.
Each part of the music department performed their own set of songs.
Band teacher Adam Tucker and chorus teacher Jon Timmons came up with the idea of the event last year.
“Last year, [Timmons] and I decided to do this concert because every March is Music in Our Schools month across the nation. [We had] never done anything and many of our neighboring districts do something,” Tucker said. “So, we decided to do a music festival to show off our talents in our department.”
Timmons believes that this music event is a “music festival which was very casual” and “very low-key.”
“We did multiple percussion and showed many assemblies throughout the main concourse in the building. We played one or two pieces, and families could come or friends cheered and supported each other,” Timmons said.
Lab band and pit orchestra advisor Alicia Simpson said that the music department has been preparing for this by “meeting and planning it out” and “getting the groups ready to perform by practicing.”
Soudertones leader Cayden Johnson believes that this event will help them for the upcoming spring concert.
Soudertones is Souderton’s all-male a cappella group.
“Currently, we are working on our pieces [and] trying to polish them for our performance. Our goal is to sound the best we possibly can, and prepare for our end-of-the-school year spring concert,” Johnson said. “Music in Our Schools is one of our testing grounds for our songs to improve. It’s a low-stakes environment for us so we can improve it.”
Advanced Choir president Ava Mills believes that this event is going to challenge their skills as a group.
“Our class is really big this year. In years past we’ve had 24 people and this year it’s 40 and [there are a] bunch of personalities [so we are] making sure we’re coefficient with one another. It hasn’t necessarily been the biggest problem,” Mills said. “I’ve been focusing on everyone getting along because if we’re not cohesive it’s not going to sound good.”
The music department was excited to present pieces such as “Harry Potter” and “Phantom of the Opera.”