Award shows drop among teenagers

By not watching award shows, the viewership and popularity of award shows has decreased. The once popular award shows such as The Grammys and Oscars, now face a decrease in their viewership and popularity due to the lack of interest.
Award shows drop among teenagers

Due to a lack of interest in award shows, such as The Grammys and The Oscars, some Souderton students are choosing to no longer watch. 

According to freshman Ashley Lockhead, many people may not watch award shows because “they’re not into it” or “they don’t want to watch it.” 

However, Lockhead feels that the viewership of these televised events often only increases when a negative event happens or something unexpected happens.

“I think people know it’s going to be all over the news so then everyone kind of finds out some way and it’s with celebrities so everyone is going to have an opinion on it,” Lockhead said. 

According to The New York Times, during the 2022 Oscars, viewers started at about 16.9 million and increased to nearly 18.7 million. However, the views increased due to Will Smith slapping Chris Rock after a joke he made about Smith’s wife. 

According to Indian Valley student Siobhan Hays, views increase due to “the unexpected happening because “people don’t expect the unexpected.” 

In her opinion, Lockhead said that the most watched award show may be the Grammys because it really shows “accomplishments of people and their work.” 

Siobhan also mentions that we do need award shows because “they are fun to watch and there are so many kinds so if you don’t like one there’s always another one.” 

According to junior Abigail Hays, award shows can sometimes be “unfair to not so popular celebrities.” 

“I think celebrities that are not as well known do not always get the attention that they deserve,” Abigail said. “It’s not the other celebrities’ fault, it’s just that some celebrities will win three years in a row for the same category while other celebrities may not have even won one.”  

On the other hand, Siobhan said award shows are “very fair.” 

“It’s not the celebrities’ fault that they are so popular. People just enjoy what they do and they can’t control that,” Siobhan said.