The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Seasonal affective disorder negatively affects teenagers

To make up for the lack of sunlight during the winter season, artificial light and light therapy are ways some teenagers who deal with seasonal depression cope. The winter months are when people experience it most due to lack of sunlight.
Ashley Lockhead
Sunny days…Enjoying her sunlight lamp, French teacher Sally Cushmore brightens her workspace.

Using artificial light to mimic the sun, teenagers struggling with seasonal affective disorder [SAD] attempt to combat the depression that comes with the winter season.
According to school psychologist Nicole Pauzano, biological factors play a role in understanding how SAD affects teenagers.
“For students in particular, there’s a very biological basis to seasonal affective disorder,” Pauzano said. “It’s important to acknowledge that biology can come into play for lots of people including kids and teenagers.”
Pauzano also said teenagers have “more risk factors” that would potentially lead to some of the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
French teacher Sally Cushmore encounters seasonal depression and says it makes her feel “less motivated.”
“It definitely has a negative impact on my mental health. I just become less motivated and I just kind of want to sit at home and not do much,” Cushmore said.
Cushmore said there are many ways that she has found that help her “cope with her seasonal depression.”
“I think it’s also important to have a good sleep schedule, that can help a lot,” Cushmore said. “I think it’s important to get up and get your day going everyday, especially on the weekends if you’re not working, don’t stay in bed or stay in your pajamas.”
According to junior Claire Jalboot, the winter definitely brings a change in mindset for her with less daylight.
“It’s definitely a lot harder with the days being shorter and it getting dark so quick,” Jalboot said. “It takes more motivation sometimes to get out of bed and actually get ready for the day.”
According to Pauzano, the biological reasons for SAD are caused by chemical changes in the brain.
“When there’s more darkness, there’s more melatonin running through your system, and melatonin is a sleep chemical that makes you more sleepy,” Pauzano said.
According to Pauzano, there are things people can do when looking at the “beginning stages of seeing symptoms related to SAD.”
“One is to increase our natural light and that includes more access to natural light, things like sitting near a window where natural light is coming in, taking walks outside,” Pauzano said. “If those things don’t work, do some things like light therapy. [There are] light bulbs that can be purchased where you can have access to non-UV light, and that’s some things that can be done.”
According to freshman Jill Wexler, the sun going down earlier in the winter affects her productivity.
“I think this happens partly because of the weather during winter,” Wexler said. “In the colder months, the sun goes down far earlier than in the morning, so I find myself less productive during winter.”
According to freshman Sarah Kratz, some negative effects can be seen in teenagers who suffer from SAD.
“[They] don’t go outside and sometimes they will close themselves off so they don’t do the things that they would [usually] do in summer,” Kratz said.
Kratz also said teenagers may be less “prone” to talking with people and friends as a result of SAD.
According to Pauzano, while there is no “outright” way to prevent SAD, there are many ways to help.
“It’s important if you’re feeling like these symptoms are interfering with your quality of life, to be able to access people who are around to support you,” Pauzano said.