‘Starry Night’ at Winter Ball

Attendees enjoyed an evening with friends while celebrating the completion of finals and the arrival of a new semester. Student Government spent months preparing for the event.
Aubrey Gehman
Written in the “Starry Night”…Enjoying the Winter Ball on January 27, (from left) sophomores Alaina Picard, Ashlyn Everitt and Kaitlyn Caldwell commemorate the evening with a photo.

After months of planning and a postponement due to snow, Student Government created an evening of entertainment for students at the annual Winter Ball.
The dance took place on January 27 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. after being rescheduled from January 20 due to inclement weather.
Student Government advisor Krysten Momsen said students have been hard at work, planning the dance for months.
“We really started talking about the Winter Ball and started to plan well before Halloween. It’s been at the forefront for quite a while now,” Momsen said.
“A lot of work goes into the dance because there are so many different factors like decor, music, food and drinks, tickets, advertising and more,” student government member Riddhi Patel said. “All of these aspects require time and work so that everyone who goes has a fun time.”
According to Momsen there are some new aspects to Winter Ball that student government is excited to present.
“We are really excited about the music selection and the decor. We think that it’s going to be a great success. Using our 10th grade government budget we’ve invested in some new features that are going to be a surprise at Winter Ball,” Momsen said. “We hope that everyone is going to want to come.”
According to Momsen the students are the ones who make all of the decisions surrounding the event.
“Whether it be the theme of the dance, what food is going to be served or what the decorations are going to look like, [it is] all decided by the students in student government,” Momsen said.
Sophomore Kaitlyn Caldwell said the students’ work resulted in success.
“The decorations were so gorgeous this year and I could really see the theme clearly. I also loved the photo booths and the area for eating was awesome,” Caldwell said.
Sophomore Navya Vysyaraju also appreciated the decorations and theme.
“The Winter Ball theme being the starry night made the school look beautiful. It was a great addition to the dance,” Vysyaraju said.
According to both Patel and student government member Gabriel Longenecker, the dance was not only well decorated but also a great opportunity to have fun after working hard during the first semester.
“Students should attend Winter Ball because it’s right at the end of the first semester,” Longenecker said. “It gives you a few hours of fun to get in the right mindset for the next few months, before the year ends.”
“Winter Ball also gives you a chance to celebrate after finals and make memories with your friends,” Patel said.
Caldwell said her favorite part of the dance was the time she spent with friends.
“The most important part of any dance for me is just hanging out with friends and making sure you have fun,” Caldwell said. “Winter Ball was a chance to get dressed up.”