ICC provides resources for smaller clubs to grow

The Interdisciplinary Club Council (ICC) provides a space for small and large organizations to communicate each month and build a community. ICC provides opportunities for clubs to share information about upcoming events to help grow the number of students that attend club activities.
Sahana George
Committing to success…Working together, seniors Allie Thatcher (left) and Anna Stratton present their poster on how to improve commitment within clubs at an Interdisciplinary Club Council meeting on December 1.

By hosting monthly meetings, the Interdisciplinary Club Council’s (ICC) advisors and leaders are providing resources for clubs in order to boost those that need it as well as bring students and clubs together.
The ICC’s objective is to provide a welcoming environment and makes students feel comfortable.
“It’s a very welcoming area, you get to just talk for a good amount of it,” ICC club corner coordinator Allie Thatcher said.
The ICC was created “to make sure that every club was getting what they needed,” ICC president Olivia Plinke said.
The club provides a resource for other clubs to communicate and discuss with each other.
The ICC gives a place for clubs to communicate with each other and to improve.
“The resources to be able to work with other clubs and students and just to learn what can be done to just make activities better,” Thatcher said.
The ICC provides new ways for clubs to advertise to the school including on RedAlert, the school’s weekly television show.
“It just gets more people to just get more people to hear about different things that each club is doing,” Plinke said.
The ICC shares a calendar of what each club is doing every month to make other clubs more aware of what is going on in the school.
“The other thing that we do, which is huge, is we have a shared calendar among clubs,” assistant principal Matt Haines said.
Haines co-advising the ICC with mentorship coordinator Amy Tarlo.
“One of the goals for us as leaders of the ICC is to make sure that all of our clubs have a broader awareness as to what’s going on in the building each month.”
The calendar makes sure each club supports one another.
“And then we also have a club calendar so that every month we know what clubs are doing so that we can support one another and just kind of know what everybody’s doing,” Tarlo said.
The ICC provides many opportunities for clubs to connect with each other and to help each other out.
“[The ICC] was created to connect the clubs that are happening in our building with one another for the sake of communicating events and activities, sharing successes, talking through failures and it is kind of like a support network for kids that are leading clubs in the building,” Haines said.
Both club advisors have high hopes for the future of the ICC.
“I have high hopes that it’ll turn into something great and it will catch a lot of momentum and be a good tool for students who are interested in leadership,” Haines said.
Tarlo agrees.
“I think that [the ICC} is something that will grow and get stronger and at the end of the day, if it’s bringing unity to our high school, then it’s worth everything we’re putting into it this year.” Tarlo said.
Giving a voice to clubs who need it is one of the reasons the ICC was created.
“We were looking for ways to bring awareness to one another’s clubs and to build a more cohesive unity amongst the school so that every club can have a voice. Then, if a club needs something, maybe the other clubs can rally behind and help,” Tarlo said.