Entrepreneur is ‘beam of light’ during dark time in Maui

To help a community in need, business owner Chaya Thomas ran a fundraiser to raise money and awareness for businesses that lost their workplace in the Maui wildfires. Since the fire began in August, it has since been extinguished and the community is now looking for funds to rebuild everything that was lost.
Online+meeting%E2%80%A6Discussing+the+%E2%80%9CScoops+for+Lahaina%E2%80%9D+fundraiser%2C+business+owners+Jennifer+Hendriksen+%28top+left%29%2C+Cole+Shadle+%28top+right%29+and+Chaya+Thomas+%28bottom%29+figure+out+the+details+of+The+Sweet+Freeze%E2%80%99s+fundraiser.+
Chaya Thomas
Online meeting…Discussing the “Scoops for Lahaina” fundraiser, business owners Jennifer Hendriksen (top left), Cole Shadle (top right) and Chaya Thomas (bottom) figure out the details of The Sweet Freeze’s fundraiser.

By starting a fundraiser called Scoops for Lahaina, junior Chaya Thomas raised over $1,500 to give back to a community that was devastated by the Maui wildfires.
The wildfires raged through Maui during August.
Thomas started The Sweet Freeze in the summer of 2020.
She makes her own ice cream and sells them in various sizes and flavors.
During September and October, Thomas hosted Scoops for Lahaina, a fundraiser to support businesses affected by the Maui wildfires.
Homemade ice cream cups were sold and 100% of the profits were donated.
The places that received the donated funds were Westside Bagel & Bakery and Breakwall Market, two restaurants located in Lahaina, as well as The Sewing Hui of Maui, a volunteer team.
“I raised a total of $1,827 and was able to donate $609 each,” Thomas said.
The volunteer team plans to use the profits to continue their sewing operations and keep producing hand-sewn products for people in Maui who are in need of clothes, blankets and other items.
According to Westside Bagel & Bakery owner, Jennifer Hendriksen, all Westside Bagel & Bakery employees are extremely grateful for the efforts of Thomas and many others throughout the country.
“While the future is still so uncertain, it is our goal to bring Westside Bagel & Bakery back to the Maui community in the future,” Hendriksen said.
According to Thomas, after hearing about the wildfires in Maui and how businesses and restaurants were being destroyed, she knew she wanted to help. She did research and came across the two restaurants.
“I reached out to these businesses through Instagram and that’s the platform we communicated through,” Thomas said.
Owner and operator of Breakwall Market, Toby Shadle, said Lahaina is on hold for the foreseeable future, but the donations from Chaya and many others mean they can “be ready when the time comes.”
Scoops for Lahaina was just the most recent fundraiser Thomas held to raise money for people struggling.
“Giving back to my community, whether through donating money or volunteering my time, has always been really important to me,” Thomas said. “Through involvement in my community, I have become aware of all of the great things that local charities and organizations are doing for those in need.”
After each season, 10% of the proceeds from The Sweet Freeze are donated to organizations such as the Keystone Opportunity Center, Spreading Hope and Smiles, Hayley’s Sunshine, Keira Kares and So Much to Give Inclusive Café.
“It’s rare to hear about a teenager that has that entrepreneurial spirit and drive along with a gracious heart to want to help and do her part to heal people she doesn’t know,” Shadle said. “To Chaya I say ‘Aloha’ to an outstanding human.”