The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

Local Halloween decorations enchant, excite

Promoting the excitement and magic of the Halloween season, Souderton residents decorate their spaces to bring extra festivity to the area. To many, decorations are a major part of what makes Halloween special to many.
Mac
Haunted hallways…Decorating her classroom on October 10, English teacher Krysten Momsen adorns her room with Halloween flourishes. Momsen decorates her classroom annually.

By putting up different types of Halloween decorations around their homes and classrooms, Souderton area residents are giving children fun experiences this October leading up to Halloween.
According to Harleysville resident Peggie Neimeyer, Halloween is “one of the happiest days of the year” because of the joy it brings for children.
“[Children] love dressing up. They love all the candy they bring home, counting everything they get,” Neimeyer said.
According to Harleysville resident Brooke Rogers, displaying a lot of Halloween decor gives children excitement.
“I think kids love to go to houses that are decorated,” Rogers said. “I think when there is nothing but one pumpkin sitting on the porch, it’s kind of like ‘Oh, okay,’ but [when it’s a decorated house] you’re like ‘Whoa, look at that.’ It just makes it more fun,” Rogers said.
For both Rogers and Neimeyer, their favorite part of decorating is the happiness it brings to kids. “It’s all the kids. I don’t think we decorated like this before we had kids,” Neimeyer said.
According to English teacher Krysten Momsen, Halloween is a different experience from other holidays.
“It’s such a fun holiday and it’s very low stress like some other holidays,” Momsen said. “I just love the whole ambiance and all the activities that go with it.”
Momsen said older children, like high school students, are often under a lot of pressure around this time of year and Halloween decorations can make them less stressed.
“They’re thinking about applying for college and they’re thinking about jobs and they’re thinking about their games. Sometimes it’s really stressful so just kind of being in a fun environment and you know just escaping for a little bit [is good,]” Momsen said.
For Momsen, Halloween decorations in a high school environment can bring some holiday spirit. “We’re in high school. Students don’t really get that because they are expected to be serious, but I feel like here we can kind of revert back and have a little fun,” Momsen said.