It’s a bull market for Economic Challenge Team

To prepare for their end-of-year test, social studies teacher David Klein challenges the Economic Challenge Team to excel in economics through dedication and teamwork. The test will determine if any club members will qualify for the national Economics Challenge competition.
Crunching+numbers%E2%80%A6Working+together%2C+senior+Jacob+Dommel+and+junior+Isiyah+Mcfadden+complete+a+worksheet+on+economic+principles+during+an+Economic+Challenge+Club+meeting+on+October+5.+The+club+meets+once+a+month+during+Red+Zone+to+expand+their+knowledge+on+the+economics+of+the+world.+
Al
Crunching numbers…Working together, senior Jacob Dommel and junior Isiyah Mcfadden complete a worksheet on economic principles during an Economic Challenge Club meeting on October 5. The club meets once a month during Red Zone to expand their knowledge on the economics of the world.

By working together and putting in extra effort, economics teacher David Klein helps prepare the Economic Challenge Team to apply themselves when taking their end-of-year test.
Having entered its second year under Klein, the Economic Challenge Team has broken new records in attendance, with nearly 50 students attending the club’s introductory meeting.
Senior Justin Stauffer said he found the large crowd driven and passionate for economics, with a drive to advance their knowledge under Klein’s tutelage.
“They all have the will to develop new knowledge if they don’t have it already,” Stauffer said. “Everyone [here] has that desire to know new information.”
According to senior Economic Challenge member Jacob Dommel, many of the team members strive to further their understanding of economics through participation.
“Everyone seemed at least a little bit motivated, I would say, because there were questions going around the room, there were people talking in groups, everyone was trying to participate a little bit,” Dommel said.
Over the year, the Economic Challenge Team hopes to educate their club members in preparation for their end-of-year test, which will decide whether or not they progress onto a national level.
Pairing into groups of four, each student will receive their own specific electronic test, to which the sum of the four tests will rank each individual squad.
Klein has high hopes for this year’s team, having been surprised by the record turnout.
“Last year we placed seventh in the state, and [we’re] hoping to get higher this year,” Klein said.
Starting this year, AP Economics became a senior-only class, leaving the Economic Challenge Team to fill the role of economic education for the underclassmen.
“They’re legitimately interested in the subject and they want to compete on an actual level,” Dommel said.
According to Klein, Economics Challenge provides an opportunity for underclassmen to see if they’re interested in taking AP Economics.
“I think it’s a great way [to learn more beforehand] if you’re planning on taking the course [or] if it’s something you want to do in the future and you’re a sophomore or a junior,” Klein said.
According to Stauffer, a majority of the recruits were strangers to economics, meaning the Economic Challenge Team would be a “step into the unknown” for said members.
Many of the current members of the team are alumni of Klein’s AP Economics class, and were ready to assist the underclassmen.
“For some of our members who are very familiar with AP classes they know how to put the work into it and build up to the test. But for others it’ll maybe be a new experience,” Klein said.
The Economic Challenge Club bridges the gap between academic and honors to appeal to the student body.
The flexible commitment paired with the challenging course materials forms an onramp for students seeking to elevate their level of academic rigor.
“Throughout the year during all of our meetings we work together to all have a strong base of economics,” Stauffer said.
In addition to his economic and global classes, Klein hosts many of extra-curricular activities, beyond Economic Challenge.