A Raye of Thought: Female friendships offer supportive connections

Women’s friendships tend to be extremely deep and emotionally entwined, contributing to rich and long-lasting relationships. When things get tough and complicated, it is important to continue to support and uplift one another.

Friendships of all shapes and sizes are inherently important to everyone, but there is something uniquely special about the bond girls share with each other.
Though life is never easy, women face many challenges and experiences that are linked to their gender.
Through these shared joys and pains, girls are able to connect deeply and extensively.
This summer, Warner Brothers released “Barbie,” a movie that focuses on the struggles women face in a creative and silly way, while also incorporating a more serious undertone.
It displayed strong female relationship after strong female relationship, especially highlighting a mother’s bond with her daughter.
The Barbies in the movie are able to support and build one another up, because in Barbie Land, every night is girl’s night.
The movie made many women, including myself, realize the true importance of surrounding yourself with other positive and loving women.
I, in particular, felt a new surge of appreciation and love for my group of girlfriends.
Who else can make you laugh so hard you cry one second and patiently listen to you spill your guts the next? Who else do you go to for advice and support?
According to Psychology Today, women naturally tend to crave emotional connection and want to talk about feelings, while men usually base their friendships more off of activities than discussions.
This is not a slight against men, just the simple fact that if women want to talk in depth about something, the best person to talk about that with is usually another woman.
This is just one of the reasons that female bonds can be so meaningful.
When that relationship is missing, it can make people feel bad about themselves. Psychology Today says that when people do not feel connected to others, it can lead to loneliness, which can possibly lead to a path of depression and anxiety.
This makes it even more vital to work for the friendships everyone deserves.
While female friendships can be extremely personal due to the fact that they share almost everything with one another, they can also sometimes become fragile and messy due to being built on so much emotion.
However, the layers that can make the friendship messy can also make it rich beyond compare.
Forgiveness and understanding are essential.
It becomes increasingly critical that we, as women, focus on building one another up in healthy ways instead of tearing each other down.
Sometimes it feels like the whole world is against women.
Sometimes it feels like things will never be fair.
Sometimes your friends do things that really annoy you.
In moments like this, women should stand in quiet solidarity and avoid piling onto the negatives as much as we can. Women should support women.
Many times this can be hard to do.
Extremely hard. It can almost feel impossible, but it is important to try.
Because in the grand scheme of things would you rather hold grudges against each other or laugh side by side in the movie theater watching the newest chick flick?