‘America’s darkest family’ comes to life on stage

Proceeds from the April 15 understudy show will go toward next year’s music department trip to Disney World.

It+takes+two+to+tango...Getting+into+character%2C+seniors+Mason+Miller+%28left%29+and+Ally+Lemon+prepare+to+play+Gomez+and+Morticia+Addams+in+%E2%80%9CThe+Addams+Family%E2%80%9D+musical+during+a+rehearsal.+

Bryan Wu

It takes two to tango…Getting into character, seniors Mason Miller (left) and Ally Lemon prepare to play Gomez and Morticia Addams in “The Addams Family” musical during a rehearsal.

Through formulating strong connections with other cast mates within the musical community and with the show itself, students performing in “The Addams Family” musical on April 13-16 expressed themselves on stage.
Tickets cost $10 and were available for purchase both online and at the show itself.
Many students have embodied their roles and looked forward to the opportunity to do so on stage.
According to senior Ally Lemon, who played Morticia Addams, she enjoyed encompassing the energy of her role.
“I love playing Morticia because her character is really fun to play,” Lemon said. “She has so much confidence, every time she walks on stage she runs the house, she owns the room and embodying her makes me feel really confident.”
Senior Logan Conver, who played Mal Beineke, also enjoyed the opportunity for expression that the musical offered.
“It’s just like a safe space for me to express myself in a way that I haven’t been able to around most people in my past,” Conver said.
With the addition of the understudy cast, more students can express themselves in different roles and it offers “a good opportunity for underclassmen to get more experienced,” according to Lemon.
Junior Connor Feick, who played understudy for the role of Mal Beineke, as well as in the ensemble, is excited to perform.
“This is the first musical I’ve ever been in, so I’m a little nervous, but with the preview we did at Art and Soul and for the school, I’m feeling pretty confident about what we can do,” Feick said.
Sophomore Juliette Birtchet, who plays the role of a cave woman, is glad the understudies get “a chance to shine.”
“They’ve had just as much practice as the leads and they deserve their moment,” Birtchet said.
According to Feick, the understudy show on April 15 was “pay-what-you-wish,” meaning attendees could donate any amount of money to view the show. The proceeds will then go toward helping raise money for the chorus and band programs trip to Disney World next school year.
Another change implemented this year is the addition of a student pit.
In previous years, the live pit consisted of hired professionals.
“They are all so talented and I think it’s a really special thing for us to have the first student pit band this year,” Lemon said.
Many performers enjoyed having the student pit and hearing everything come together. “It’s been really fun trying to figure out how the songs are going to sound when everything is together because we’ve been rehearsing with tracks,” Conver said. “Finally hearing it with the pit is really cool.”
According to Birtchet, another fun aspect of the musical is the cast parties following the shows.
“Sometimes when practice is really hard and people start having full on mental breakdowns on stage, I’m like, alright we just got to get through this and then boom, we can party and have fun,” Birtchet said.