News Byte

To get involved in Spanish culture, students in Spanish III and above will travel to Spain next school year over spring break. The trip will start in the city of Málaga and end in Barcelona before students return home to Philadelphia.

By traveling to several southern Spanish cities, students who completed Spanish III will have the option to take a trip to Spain from March 23 to April 2, 2024, to experience aspects of Spanish culture.
Spanish teacher Brittany Mercado said that the trip is coming back for the first time since 2015. “It’s been a long time and I think everybody is ready to get out and experience things,” Mercado said.
According to Mercado, the trip will include allowing students to “get some hands-on experience with cooking and flamenco.” Mercado said that along with cities in Spain’s southern region, students will also have the opportunity to see Madrid and Barcelona. “The trip from Madrid to Barcelona is a little bit longer so we’ll be taking a high-speed train between those two cities,” Mercado said.
The trip will be organized by the company EF Educational Tours, Inc. According to Mercado, the company has set up hotel accommodations for those on the trip “in between individual cities.”
Mercado said that she hopes this trip will encourage students to get involved in the World Language program more.