High school pilots Red Zone

In order to increase students’ opportunities to receive teacher help, the high school is piloting Red Zone for three weeks, starting on October 17. During Red Zone, teachers will hold office hours from 7:25-8:05 a.m.

Hoping to keep the idea of Lunch and Learn alive, Souderton administration will pilot Red Zone for three weeks
in October, so students can receive extra help at the beginning of school.
Starting on October 17, students will be able to go to their teachers for extra help or to make up tests and quizzes for 40 minutes at the start of the school day.
Clubs and organizations will also have the opportunity to meet during Red Zone.
Any student who does not need extra help and can transport themselves to school, does not have to arrive until the first block, which will begin at 8:11 a.m.
According to Principal Sam Varano, the idea for Red Zone was developed as a modified version of Lunch and Learn.
Lunch and Learn was an hour-long block in the middle of the day when students could eat lunch and receive extra help from teachers.
Lunch and Learn was piloted in the 2018-2019 school year and in 2021-2022.
“We know kids and teachers love [Lunch and Learn,] so we are trying to bring back some of the elements that were good for kids and teachers,” Varano said. “By taking lunch out of the equation, I think this is really going to work. I don’t see any downside to it.”
Assistant principal Josh Klimovich also sees few issues with the idea of Red Zone.
“There is a limited cost. Classes will be a little bit shorter, about the same length as they were during Lunch and Learn,” Klimovich said. “Instead of 90 minute blocks, we will have 85-86 minute blocks, which I don’t think is a huge loss of time.”
Seniors Lauren McClure and Kathryn Johnson can see some complications that Red Zone will cause for them.
“I think that the idea behind [Red Zone] is coming from a good place. But, as someone who has to take a class at North Montco during second block, it really messes with my schedule,” McClure said.
According to Jonhson, even though Red Zone is creating conflict within her schedule, she likes that students will be given more “one-on-one” time with their teachers.
If Red Zone goes successfully and receives positive feedback from students and faculty, Klimovich and Varano can see it being implemented full time.
According to Varano, if students treat Red Zone with respect, it could start full time as early as the second semester of this school year.
According to Klimovich and Varano, to make sure that Red Zone goes smoothly, students should be “peaceful and purposeful.”
“Whatever you are doing, think to yourself, ‘Is what I’m doing right now peaceful and purposeful,’” said Klimovich. “Being peaceful can be something very simple, like sitting in the hallway listening to music. Being purposeful could be to get extra help, to relax or to do homework.”
According to Varano, students also need to think about getting to school on time.
First block begins at 8:11 a.m. and if students are late because of traffic, it will not be excused.
“Pay attention to the traffic because we are not going to budge on that. The traffic is going to shift because there will be a number of juniors and seniors who won’t need it on any given day,” Varano said.
Freshman Sarah Stratton is very excited for the Red Zone pilot because sometimes she finds it difficult to stay up to date with her homework due to extracurriculars.
“With after school activities like marching band, it can be hard to do homework, but [Red Zone] will give me some time to get it done,” Stratton said. “I hope that Red Zone will continue through the whole year.”