Faculty, students share dress code stances, thoughts

This year, administration will enforce dress code policies primarily focusing on midriffs, hoods and hats. Student feedback has been mixed.

To facilitate a more focused environment, Souderton will continue to strictly enforce the dress code throughout the school year after being more lenient during the 2020-2022 school years.
In favor of these adjustments, Principal Sam Varano believes in a positive school environment presenting a positive impression. “I think the rules are clearly set aside and they’re not that difficult or asking that much to follow,” Varano said. “If someone was looking to present a positive impression like to get a job, they wouldn’t walk into the interview with a hat or hood on with their whole midsection exposed.”
In the past two years, dress code rules have been relaxed due to the recent pandemic. This allowed students to be able to wear their choice of wardrobe.
“From my perspective, it got out of hand to the point where our school environment was compromised,” Varano said.
According to Varano, the dress code is fairly acted upon between both genders.
“I think that it’s not appropriate to be walking around a school with one’s belly or midsection exposed. I just don’t think that it is the appropriate way to dress in a public school,” Varano said.
However, others disagree. Senior Josh Ubele believes that the enforcement of men and women in the dress code is unequal.
“It’s not fair because men have way less restrictions than women and that is just simply not fair,” Ubele said.
Ubele feels as though some of the dress code requirements don’t align with the mission of creating an environment free of distraction.
“I don’t get why they’re targeting the midriff because it is not distracting,” Ubele said.
According to senior Kayla Herninko, the dress code is too strict and takes away from actual class time. “I think it targets young girls because most of the dress code rules are focused on the girls in the school and not the boys,” Herninko said. “I just think it’s not super necessary.”
Some worry about buying clothes to fit the dress code. “It’s hard to actually find clothes that are dress code appropriate. The current fashion sense doesn’t align with the dress code,” junior Megan Wilkinson said.
Certain teachers disagree with some of the opinions. According to science teacher Christine Jackson, she believes the reinforced policy is appropriate.
“I think [the dress code] is appropriate, and I think it has gone relatively well. Students understand and have been following [them] fairly well. They’re not new rules.[They] are just enforcing rules [that are already in place.] I think it’s going okay,” Jackson said.
When seeing the dress code being broken, Jackson takes action without distracting the class. “In my classes, I usually pull the person aside and say to them that what they’re wearing is not following the rules, and then I tell them they probably shouldn’t wear it again,” Jackson said.
Science teacher Christopher Luck believes that a certain level of decorum is necessary and that some outfits are not appropriate for a public setting.