Swim attributes success to uplifiting environment

Reuniting for this year’s swim season, members are celebrating their family dynamic. Their ongoing support for each other commends them to succeed, as they reign in victories during this year’s competitions.

Arrowhead photo by Zoe Bass

Just keep swimming…Gliding through the water in his butterfly race on December 22, sophomore Abraham Bleazard dominates the pool lane. Souderton Boys Swim Team won 120 to 63 during this meet against Hatboro-Horsham High School.

In an effort to increase success, boys and girls swim team members encourage and support each other to foster a family dynamic throughout the season.
Jumping back into the pool after one year, both girls and boys swim team members are submerging themselves into the season.
According to senior Drew Stephens, the swim team values their family dynamic.
“We’re always supporting each other and trying to push each other to get better [swimming] times and even outside the pool we’re all friends, basically a big family,” Stephens said.
According to the team members, the friendships they create are not limited to the pool.
“We always hang out together and outside of swim, we’re always going out to brunch and supporting each other,” Stephens said.
Like the boys, the connection on the girl’s team is so strong that they consider each other sisters.
“We’re all really close and I consider some of them my sisters,” sophomore Anna Stauffer said. “A lot of them are my best friends and I’ve made a lot of friends since getting onto the high school team.”
Despite being new to the team, junior Sara Bishop said that it was an easy transition.
“Everyone on the team is always rooting for each other and always wants to make sure everyone is doing their best,” Bishop said.
Not only are the swimmers supported by fellow teammates, but according to junior Gabe Heim, his coaches uplift him in his events.
“The coaches make sure that we try our best and are always trying to get new goal times and personal records,” Heim said. “We’re all friends on the team and we’re all just trying to make each other better.”
One familiar bonding experience the boy’s team undertakes during the season is bleaching their hair.
“It’s to show that we are together as one team, even though it’s an individual sport where you swim your own races, you’re a part of something bigger,” junior Matt Potts said.
Freshman Blake Stanczewski is on the swim team with his older brother.
“I get a lot of competition, especially with two older brothers. It makes it more fun because I have something to beat,” Stanczewski said.
“That really helps push me further and go a lot faster.”
Maintaining a healthy relationship with his fellow teammates, coaches and also his little brother, sophomore William Stanczewski balances them all.
“I root for him on especially in the 500 because that’s one of his favorite events and I want him to do well,” Stanczewski said.