It’s wonderful! Fall play returns to indoor stage

With two separate shows, students took the stage for three nights. Many upperclassmen enjoyed being back indoors for the fall play, compared to the 2020 production.

Arrowhead photo by Zoe Bass

No man is a failure who has friends…Capturing the attention of the audience, (from left) senior Dan Micsion, senior Kacie Watkins and sophomore Jackson Rohrbaugh perform “It’s a Wonderful Life” in radio style.

By rehearsing three times a week over seven weeks, Souderton theater students worked to present two plays: “Tuck Everlasting” and “It’s a Wonderful Life.” The shows took place November 11-13.
Differing from this year, last year’s fall play took place outdoors as a COVID-19 safety precaution.
Senior Dan Micsion who played George Bailey, the lead in “It’s a Wonderful Life,” is happy to see a more natural routine.
“This year it seems that we are finally getting back to some sense of normalcy,” Micsion said. “Having weekly practices and getting to know everyone in the cast and crew and connecting has made the experience enjoyable once again.”
Micsion has a positive outlook on being able to perform despite still facing the pandemic.
Cast members found it exciting to perform two plays with completely different styles.
Senior Connor Magee had roles in both plays. Magee took the stage as Clarence Odbody in “It’s a Wonderful Life” and Miles Tuck in “Tuck Everlasting.”
“The purpose of having two plays is to include everyone and give everyone a chance to have their spotlight moment,” Magee said.
Dress rehearsals with masks were a challenge according to Magee. “You have to act with your eyes and deliver with your voice.”
Junior Simon Hershberger also had roles in both plays. Hershberger was Mr. Potter in “It’s a Wonderful Life” and Angus Tuck in “Tuck Everlasting.”
Hershberger says that his siblings inspired him to pursue acting.
“I loved watching them tell a story and becoming their roles. I loved the community I saw they had and the friends they made. Since they were brave enough to try, I knew I could too,” Hershberger said.
Theater is a big part of Hershberger’s life, as he was exposed at an early age.
Influenced by his brother’s acting in “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” he was motivated to follow the same path.
“The words seized me. They flowed beautifully and encoded such wonder in me,” Hershberger said. “I want to give that same feeling to others.” Hershberger also said that he values “the process of memorizing lines with emotion and telling a story.”
Senior Ally Mahoney played Mrs. Hatch in “It’s a Wonderful Life” and Winnie Foster, the lead, in “Tuck Everlasting”.
According to Mahoney, doing the play is “a big-time commitment, but it is rewarding in the end.”
Mahoney loves doing bows at the end of the night. “Looking around after completing a show and seeing everyone smiling and clapping for each other is a feeling unlike any other,” Mahoney said.
Many of the cast reflected on the end of performing as being difficult.
“It’s [like] a part of you is missing because you no longer get to perform this show you’ve fallen in love with and you don’t get to see the people involved in it with you every day,” Mahoney said.
“My fellow cast members were like a second family to me,” Micsion said. “We were given weird circumstances to deal with and we performed wonderful shows and I wish for just one more night to do it all again.”