Raye of Sun: Summer reading is the perfect pastime

Reading is always an adventure, opening you up to worlds you may never (or could never) experience. The perfect time to get your reading in is over the summer, when there is less school to worry about, and more nature to enjoy while you read. Here are some recommendations.

Summer is the perfect time to read a book. Not that there is a “bad” time to read a book, but summer is the best. 

It’s warm and sunny out, there is no school to worry and stress about, you can read on the beach; It’s perfect. 

So, take time to sit outside and crack open a book this summer. I promise you won’t regret it. 

Don’t know what to read? Here are my top recommendations: 

It doesn’t get more summer than romance novels- especially when they are by Emily Henry. Henry has written five romance novels over the last five and all of them perfectly fit summer vibes. Her books “Beach Read,” “Book Lovers,” “People we Meet on Vacation,” “Funny Story” and “Happy Place” all have different tropes and unique stories. 

Her books also expertly weave personal growth and friendship and familial love into the romantic plot, making her books deeply meaningful and delightful to read. 

If Henry’s books don’t meet your romance standards, “The Summer I Turned Pretty” trilogy by Jenny Han may do the trick. 

While they are not the best books in the world, they definitely fit the summertime and are light and easy reads to pass the time. Just know, if you have watched Amazon Prime’s TV show adaptation of the same name, the books are significantly different. 

If you enjoy mysteries, you should read “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” trilogy by Holly Jackson. 

Again, fun and easy reads, they follow teen detective Pip as she solves various cold cases throughout her small town. Jackson writes in a way that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat and brilliantly ties everything together to wrap up the story.        

The “Red Rising” series by Pierce Brown is a dystopian option. This “Hunger Games-esqu” series takes place on all the planets and moons in the solar system and follows a caste-breaking uprising. 

The series can be a little hard to keep track of at times, with the different families and the general chaos of war, but what better time to read it then over the summer, when you have no school work to think about. Not to mention that the world building and character development is phenomenal. 

Some more serious books are perfect for the summer, even if they can carry some heavier tones. The warm, sunny weather can help combat the sadness that may come with some of these books, and the beautifully written stories are worth it. 

“The Song of Achilles” and “Circe” by Madeline Miller, are Greek myth inspired novels that are best read over the summer. Each has incredibly powerful and moving main characters that are usually overlooked in traditional myths. 

You get to better understand a deeper level of the human condition through the underrepresented characters. 

Then there is “Lessons in Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus and “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens. 

These novels have inspiring female protagonists, who change their worlds and take control of their lives. They are heartfelt and uplifting to read. 

“Where the Crawdads Sing” is the ideal summer book, taking place in the swamps of North Carolina and completely immersed in nature. 

Go out and read this summer! It’s good for you, it’s fun, it’s impactful. Summer itself is an escape, but books offer the opportunity to travel and explore within the comfort of your own backyard- or from the comfort of whatever vacation you find yourself on. 

And if you try any of these books, I hope you enjoy the world of adventures at your fingertips, the summer breeze and have a relaxing summer!