Freshman class looks back on first year of high school

Freshmen discuss their thoughts and understanding of ninth grade as they transitioned from middle school and navigated their first year of high school.
Gia Weaver
Ready set finish… Working to finish the school year strong, freshman Emma Caputo reminisces on her year ending with a bang. Caputo used Pathway Manager, a course tracking and planning software, throughout the year.

By spending time together, freshmen created valuable memories throughout the year and are offering advice to incoming freshmen for next year.
According to freshman Haasini Matta, freshman year was enjoyable for her.
“It was very fun. I enjoyed the time I spent with my friends,” Matta said.
One critique that Matta had, however, was the change in workload.
“It could get a little stressful due to the heavy workload from the transfer from middle school to high school,” Matta said.
Freshman Emma Caputo said the biggest difference was having more freedom and opportunities in high school than in middle school.
“I’ve gotten to meet a lot of new people from other grades as well,” Caputo said.
According to Caputo, the best advice she could give new freshmen is to “enjoy your time while you have it” and that the year “goes by super fast, you barely even recognize it’s going to end.”
Freshman Mackenzie Smith said she had a “good” year so far.
“I liked almost every teacher I’ve had and I think the topics we learn in high school are more interesting,” Smith said.
A feature Smith particularly liked about the high school was the variety of clubs.
“I think there were also a lot more opportunities like clubs and things like that.” Smith said. “There were so many people to meet,”
One of the many changes that freshmen had to adapt to was the transition from middle school to high school.
Freshman Rhylie Hernandez said that she was able to adapt to these changes.
“The change was drastic, but it wasn’t something that I couldn’t easily adjust to over time,” Hernandez said.
According to Smith, the transition was “not a hard change.” “I wouldn’t say it was a hard change,” Smith said. “It was a little different, but I haven’t noticed any major changes like what some of the middle school teachers [told us about].