The Student News Site of Souderton Area High School

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

The Arrowhead

2024 valedictorian search looks beyond a gradebook

Since the Class of 2013, becoming valedictorian has required an application process, empowering students to take classes that align with their career choices.

As the year comes to an end, students who are in the top 5% of the graduating class have the opportunity to apply for the title of valedictorian.
A committee that consists of Principal Sam Varano, guidance coordinator Tom Overberger and three faculty representatives meets to pick the best applicant for the valedictorian title.
The valedictorian gives a speech at graduation and represents their class.
According to Varano, many things are taken into consideration when choosing a valedictorian.
“The Valedictorian Selection Committee considers them based upon their leadership, school involvement, attendance and their proposed valedictorian speech,” Varano said.
According to Overberger, grade point average (GPA) isn’t the only factor determining whether you can be the valedictorian.
“[Students] submit an application that indicates their leadership, their school involvement, and then those two things are taken into consideration,” Overberger said. “In addition to that, attendance and potentially any behavior issues would also be taken into account.”
Overberger said that having these aspects influencing valedictorian selection has shifted the paths of students aspiring to become the valedictorian.
“Before, the GPA part was very strategic. I think the process now develops more of a competition that honestly helps students,” Overberger said.
According to Varano, the committee looks for a speech that “is aligned with our school values,” that “resonates with the class graduating” and is “well composed.”
For senior Bryan Wu, taking extracurriculars can be useful when it comes to applying for the position.
“I have a pretty big involvement in the music department at our school,” Wu said. “I also hold a leadership role in the environmental club and I’ve been a part of SAVE for three years now.”
Senior Bradley Evans has also participated in many extracurricular activities during his high school career.
“I’ve been the drum major of the marching band for two years,” Evans said. “I did science fair, I’ve been in the Interact Club for three years now and I joined the SAVE Club this year.”
According to senior Kyle Lockhead, taking Advanced Placement classes also boosts your GPA.
This makes is more likely for one to be in the top 5% of their class.
“AP Physics, AP Chemistry and all those AP classes would be very important in getting towards that goal,” Lockhead said.
Lockhead also participates in several sports, including lacrosse, swim and track.
According to Evans, Lockhead and Wu, valedictorian shouldn’t be the main focus of your high school career.
“You should focus on doing the things you enjoy and spending time with those you care about,” Evans said.