Seniors celebrate final year with grade-wide game

Encompassing the final weeks of senior year, the senior class is playing a class-wide game of Senior Assassin.

By participating in a class-wide game of Senior Assassin, the senior class aims to enjoy the last few weeks of school while bonding with their peers.
The game takes place from April 8 through the end of the year.
Coming together as a class, this year’s graduates began the annual end-of-senior-year game of Senior Assassin.
Students that choose to play are required to pay a fee, which makes up the prize money awarded to the last player “alive” at the end of the challenge.
Each round, players are given the name of another player; it is their job to “assassinate” their given target using a can of silly string.
Wellness teacher Michael Bergey believes that the game brings students together.
“It’s a fun way for the seniors to celebrate the end of the year together,” Bergey said.
For senior Ryan Ciuba, he found himself making fun memories with his friends, thanks to the game.
“I had fun with my friends planning to assassinate someone and the memories we made while camping at someone’s work or place they were at,” Ciuba said.
To track down their target, players had to branch out to get information from other students, bringing people together, senior Lily Ponce said.
“It was good for our grade because you find yourself talking to people you don’t think you would ever talk to,” Ponce said.
To enhance the challenge, a new set of rules were put in place for the first couple rounds of the game.
According to Ponce, the Round Two rules were a lot better.
“In Round Two, there were no alliances allowed which eliminated a lot of people that were not willing to put in more effort to get to the next round,” Ponce said.
When “defense” was taken out of the game it became harder to play for Ciuba.
“If someone came after you, all you could do was run and you couldn’t shoot them back for immunity,” Ciuba said.
Senior Arman Khatri runs this year’s Senior Assassin, monitoring all of the rounds and their accompanying rules.
Khatri said this year alliances were a big factor in getting through the first round of the game.
“During the first round, a ton of people passed the round through alliances, which kinda defeats the point of the game,” Khatri said.
Players had to overcome many obstacles when finding their target in order to advance.
Figuring out where their target would be, was a struggle for players, including Ponce.
“Figuring out their day-to-day schedules and hoping they wouldn’t do something different was hard,” Ponce said.
For Ciuba, timing his attack was the most difficult part.
“The hard thing was knowing what time this person would be exiting the place they were in,” Ciuba said. “Sometimes you had to sit outside the building for an hour or two, which was very painful.”
Around 140 seniors participated in this year’s game, which made running it difficult at times, Khatri said.
“It was a struggle because I couldn’t make everyone happy,” Khatri said.
It all depends, however, on the final three left, according to Khatri.
“The prize money pot this year is about $500, but it all depends on the final three players’ decision on how to distribute the money, Khatri said. “It might be split or all given to first.”