Students pursue careers in military post-grad

Entering the military after high school, seniors are joining military academies or directly enlisting in a specific branch of the military.
Bernadette Kearns
Newest recruit…Visiting the United States Naval Academy on March 1, senior Aidan Kearns poses with a statue of U.S. Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, who graduated from the Naval Academy in 1955. Kearns will attend the Naval Academy this fall.

By enrolling in selective U.S. military academies or officially enlisting in the military, some seniors contractually sign up to spend the next few years, or more, in the military.
One avenue to joining the military post-high school graduation is by applying to and enrolling in one of the five military academies in the U.S.
Military academies differ from traditional colleges or universities in that students not only receive a four-year education and undergraduate degree but also, post-graduation, are obligated to serve in the branch of the military they trained for as undergraduates.
According to senior Aidan Kearns, who plans to attend the U.S. Naval Academy, he decided to attend a military academy rather than the traditional college route due to familial history.
“I wanted to serve my country, at least; it’s a great honor. My mom’s side of the family has a lot of Marines, so I always dreamed about doing that,” Kearns said.
Kearns said he was also intrigued by the different opportunities within the Navy that wouldn’t be offered to him in a civilian college experience.
“I wanted the experience of being just out in the world,” Kearns said. “You can’t go to a civilian college and be on a ship in the summer. So, I thought it’d be interesting to branch out and do that kind of stuff.”
In the Naval Academy, Kearns plans to study computer engineering to eventually work in cyber warfare while serving in the Navy.
Senior James Kuduk will also be attending a U.S. military academy, specifically the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Kuduk plans to study mechanical engineering and run for the academy as a student athlete.
According to Kuduk, there were many aspects of the Coast Guard that motivated him to attend the academy.
“I think I’m really going to enjoy kind of a strict lifestyle; I like to be disciplined, I think I’m hardworking,” Kuduk said. “So, I think I’m just going to like not only going to school and getting to run there but also the service afterwards.”
Senior Sophia Slater enlisted in the National Guard last summer and plans to continue training while she attends Gwynedd Mercy University to study computer science.
As a member of the National Guard, Slater will be trained to be a generator mechanic.
Last summer, Slater enlisted in the National Guard and began basic training.
“But basic training, a lot of people think it’s scary- it was the best time of my life,” Slater said. “It really is trauma bonding. I made the best friends of probably my life and had the best experience.”